The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Dr Williams @ LTS

Yesterday I joined around 25 others at the LTS to hear Dr P J Williams, warden of Tyndale House, Cambridge, exploring the reliability of the Old Testament. It was good to hear someone with evident scholarly gifts (an a young earth creationist no less) asserting the reliability of what we who believe know is a thoroughly reliable book but that is constantly under attack for one reason or another. We spoke briefly and he seemed to think he had met me. I later realised he must have grown up in Hambleton Evangelical Church in Carlton Minniot, Yorkshire, where we have one or two connections. I would tell you more but the powers that be were keen not to give the material given exposure on the Internet. Perhaps a book is in the offing. It is a pity that more were not present. They can't all be in Bala or getting ready for EMA next week. The LTS is to be commended for putting on these Monday seminars. Christopher Ash next, I think, in the Autumn and a conference before that.

2 comments:

Jonathan Hunt said...

How do they publicise these things? I realised recently that the 'study days' had been carrying on. I went to the first one. I would have hoped that they might have at least sent out an email to those who had previously registered. Ah well.

Gary Brady said...

There's this thing called the Internet and organisations like LTS have what are called Websites. Your point about emailing is valid though. I shall speak to them.