The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Graham Harrison Memories

When I was in LTS one of the things I remember Mr Harrison saying was that there are things in the Bible that you or I would not have put quite like that. I often recall that observation. One of my fellow students pointed out that Mr Harrison had a penchant for military and pugilistic metaphors. He even started writing the down I think. Having been alerted to this I noticed ever after that it was a pretty common trait. What caused it I do not know. Perhaps it was growing up in Grange Town, a rather challenging part of Cardiff in those days. Of course, I can't give you any obvious examples now, though I do remember expressions such as "going a few rounds with Warfield". I tried to look up examples form online sermons but all I could find was "You are knowing the strength of this temptation to try and show that you are of superior intelligence, that the gospel is something that can knock spots off these Greek philosophers, etc."

No comments: